Saturday, September 9, 2017

Library Orientation at Hillside

The first 2 weeks of school for the 2017-2018 school year are in the books as a success! I was able to see every class, and every student at Hillside has checked out! Woohoo!!

Welcome Back: The books missed you! 

It took me longer this year to get the library ready for the start of school due to the carpet installation. It took me a while to get the books back on the shelf, but looking on the bright side of things, I was able to study my collection better while unpacking. 

I am focusing on getting my library more organized and student friendly this year. I have made LOTS of changes in my 3 years here as librarian, but I have a lot more to do. I worked on getting the Self-Checkout station ready with instructions. I think this will help out when I'm teaching a class if students forget how to check out. So far, it is working! I'm hearing a lot more of the 'happy sounds' and no 'barking sounds'. I have the computer set up to 'bark' if a student does something wrong. That way, I can hear it no matter what area of the library I'm in.


Orientation Activities 

Each class came in for a 50 minute orientation the first two weeks of school. We went over my library promises, library procedures, and reviewed how to use the self-checkout machine.

Fourth graders came in to review logging into our Chromebooks and they all joined their teacher's Google Classroom, as well as the library Google Classroom.




With second grade, I read THE SHELF ELF by Jackie Mims Hopkins. No one has spotted our elf this year, he is hiding really well!


I love how this book goes over manners in the library, as well as taking care of our library books in a respectful manner. After reading, I had a sort at the tables with ways we could treat our books. Students sorted them into "no way" and "yes, of course!".


Third graders read THE LIBRARY DRAGON by Carmen Agra Deedy. This is one of my favorite books for library orientation. I love that part of the theme focuses on the library belonging to the children. 


After reading, third graders did a scavenger hunt through the library. Each group had a question, and they had to move to the area of the library that shows the answer. They had loads of fun! I did not create this scavenger hunt to go with the book, another amazing librarian did. You can find a copy for yourself on TpT.




Another group of 3rd graders came in to learn using the Chromebooks and Google apps. Let me tell you, having an extra set of eyes and hands when teaching the students to use technology devices is a wise idea. If you aren't already doing this as a librarian, start inviting your teachers to come into the library when the students need to use technology.  It truly helps them out!

After the students were able to login to the Chromebooks, they logged into our library catalog, Destiny. Then... the fun began! We played a Kahoot to review the library procedures. 




Finally... the books!

I have to brag on the teachers on my campus.... the majority of them were very open to my moving to a flexible schedule and have agreed that it is best for the students. I love co-teaching with my fellow educators, especially using technolgy with the students. However, as much as I know students love using the available technology, I love that they get more excited when it is time to look through the books!! Look at these sweet smiles when they open up their new library book they were able to choose.


These smiles right here are the reason I love my job!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment