Friday, January 19, 2018

Chromebook Academy

I am so excited that our first graders and kindergarten students will be learning to use the Chromebooks this week. When our school first purchased the Chromebook carts, I had quite a few people tell me that they did not think little ones could use them successfully.

Challenge accepted!!

So, I started researching some things and found Clever badges. I immediately sent the information to my library direction, who in turn talked with our technology department. I was so excited to be chosen as one of the pilot schools for the Clever badges.

Sometimes all you have to do is ask! 

After we got word about the clever badges, and I got them all printed out, laminated, and ready to go, Chromebook Academy was in the works. We started off with simple steps -- how to carry our Chromebook, how to open and close the Chromebook, logging in, using the touchpad, etc... The excitement was contagious! 

Look at these smiles! 
I lay my Chromebook flat on a table to use it. 
Kindergarten students can use Chromebooks, too. 
I hold my Chromebook with two hands.

Chromebook Academy

I got the idea of calling it Chromebook Academy from my kids' kindergarten teacher. We were blessed to be able to have the same teacher for both my son and my daughter, and she was AMAZING!! She had different academies throughout the school year, such as shoe tying academy. The students received certificates once they passed the academy. 

I created the presentation below to guide us through each day and each step. This is still a work in progress, but feel free to use the presentation for your school. 





Don't underestimate young students, they are very capable of learning how to use technology. However, don't assume they know how to use technology just because they can play on a tablet. They must be shown how to effectively use devices. 

I will also add that our second grade students were taught how to use the Chromebooks at the beginning of the school year, and all second grade students can login using their Google Account logins. They can learn, and they can use the devices! 

2 comments:

  1. Did you hold the academy in the library? Did they come 5 consecutive days? I love this!! I love using technology in the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hold this in the library. The classes did not come 5 consecutive days, some classes came twice in one week, then they would come the next week and so forth. I am on a flexible schedule, so classes came at different times as needed. So, the first day we would do DAY 1, but then even if a week had passed, when they came the second time, we would do DAY 2.

      Delete