Thursday, April 26, 2018

Animal Research

One of my favorite projects of the year is when first graders get to choose an animal they are interested in and research that animal. I love how the kids get so involved in their research, and they cannot read enough about their chosen animal.

The first grade teachers and I discussed the timeline for the project, and we came up with a notetaking page to teach the students how to organize their notes. I am so blessed to have teachers on my campus that collaborate with me and allow me to be a part of the students learning.

The students used PebbleGo to begin with since we had used it numerous times throughout the school year to read and research about other topics. To go further in their research, we used the online encyclopedia in the library last week. I put the link in their Google Classroom so they could easily get to the website.

These first graders use the link in Google Classroom to access the online encyclopedia. 

Next, we reviewed the headings in our Britannica encyclopedia, which really helps the younger students not be overwhelmed with text. After they had taken notes, they then searched through the images and videos to get even more information about their animal. While reading and viewing, they took notes on their notetaking organizer.


On the back of the organizer was the bibliography. While they found information, students kept up with the sources they used. Yes, even the youngest readers need to know how to cite their sources. 

In the past, when younger students have done research, I have the books pulled out on the tables. However, this time, I decided to let the students use the Dewey markers in the library to find the books about their chosen animal. The best thing in the world is to see their eyes light up with excitement when they have found the book they need. 


They were so excited and are having so much fun, I've had several first graders come into the library this week before school to research more. They have asked me for index cards to take more notes! AND YES, they are accessing Google Classroom all on their own and utilizing the links I've added for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment