Wednesday, September 7, 2016

5th Grade U.S. Regions Research

The third week of school is almost complete, and every 2nd - 5th grader knows how to do self-checkout. I still need to review looking for a book in the catalog and placing a book on hold with my younger students.  

Flexible schedule has now started in the Hillside library, and I love it! Today, the fifth grade class came to complete research for a project over U.S. Regions. I had the atlases laying out at each table, as well as the nonfiction books about the states. 

The students had to use the atlas to determine which U.S. states were a part of the region they chose. Students got into groups to find information about major cities, landscape, climate, and produce from each region. 

I enjoyed being a part of this lesson with the 5th grade teacher. Having a flexible schedule and collaborating with the classroom teacher brings about numerous opportunities for mini-lessons. I was able to do a mini-lesson over finding reliable sources and using other sources than Google with a group of students at the computers. Another group of students were having trouble locating information about types of produce from particular regions, so I did a mini-lesson on using a map key.

The students loved searching for the answers to their questions in the library. It was great seeing the excitement on their faces. I cannot wait to see their final products.


My flexible schedule adventure will continue next week with 4th grade genre lessons and collaborating with the art teacher for Dot Day. Stay tuned and follow along with me this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment