Friday, September 23, 2016

Country Fact Hunting with 3rd Grade

Collaboration

One of the third grade teachers approached me last week and said that she needed help teaching the students how to properly search for information. The teacher and I collaborated for a couple of days through email, and came up with our ideas. We decided to incorporate Hispanic Heritage month with their assignment, plus the curriculum at the time is learning about countries of the world. We decided to write names of Hispanic countries onto pieces of paper, and the students drew a country out of a bag. The suspense was exciting.

Since this was just learning to search for specific information, I gave the students certain information I wanted them to find about the country. Once they get into projects, students will have more ownership, but for now, I need them to know how to search properly.

Before students got on the computers and tablets, we discussed reliable sources. Students tend to always answer 'Google' for where to look for information. While Google is great, I teach my students they have to be careful and be sure that it is reliable. So, I then asked them if I had a digital resource that we knew for sure was reliable. I was ecstatic that someone answered on the first try! They remembered the Online Encyclopedias. 


I reviewed the features of Britannica, and how to use keywords to search. Since we were specifically looking at countries, I showed them the map view so they could zoom in and see satellite images of the countries. The teacher then went over her expectations for their assignment, and we put the pairs on a computer or a tablet.  


The great thing about the flexible schedule and collaborating is that two teachers are in there to help the students. Both myself and the teacher roamed the library and monitored student success. It also gives great opportunities for mini-lessons. While monitoring students I was able to do a mini lesson on skimming for information with 3 of the groups, as well as a mini lesson on using the headings in articles. 

All of these skills are things I would have taught in the library during fixed schedule last year, but now with my flexible schedule and collaborating with the teachers, it is more meaningful to the students. The students are able to make connections when these skills are taught as needed with the curriculum.


No comments:

Post a Comment