Thursday, May 17, 2018

STAAR Review Stations Part 2

STAAR testing is finally over for our building. Three straight days of administering the test has made me go brain dead.  I have one of those brains that is hard to turn off, so monitoring a quiet room where I cannot talk is really hard on me. 

You may have read my post on the 5th grade STAAR review stations back in April. Our 5th graders have to take the test earlier in the year. 4th grade and 3rd grade teachers heard about the stations, and wanted me to set it up for them as well. The ELA teachers and I looked at data to determine what skills the students needed to review to prepare for the test, then we scheduled days for the students to come. We decided that 2 days would be best. Perks of a flexible schedule! 

Main Idea vs Theme sorting station 


Making Inferences Station

Summarizing Nonfiction 

Text structure sorting station

At this station, students had paired passages. A poem and a nonfiction
text.  They then had to roll 2 number cubes, add up the number, then
answer the question corresponding with that number. 

Types of Context Clue sort
The students really enjoyed the stations. A few students even mentioned that they were a fun way to review.

The best thing about these stations is that once I had them set up in the library, the teachers were able to bring the students through to complete them. I kept them set up in the library, no moving stations around to different classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment