Monday, September 14, 2015

Library Home Access

Last week was amazing, even though it was short and flew by! The students are really getting the hang of the library procedures and the library promises we agreed upon the first week of school.

In Kindergarten, I began introducing Mo Willems books. Many of the kinders knew about Piggy and Elephant already, and we had a great time laughing at the pigeon as well. Over the next few weeks, kinder students will get to vote on their favorite Mo Willems book.

In first grade, we read a folktale and discussed the characteristics of a folktale. I read Armadilly Chili by Helen Ketteman. The students made a connection and told me that it was similar to The Little Red Hen. If you have not read Armadilly Chili, I highly recommend it for your folktale unit or just for a fun read.


Second graders learned how the library was organized and how anyone can be an author. We discussed the terms: author, illustrator, title, fiction, and nonfiction. I read Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk and we discussed the different terms that were found in the book.

 
 
 
Fourth and Fifth graders reviewed how to put books on hold in the library catalog, and also how to access the library catalog from home using the link http://library.garlandisd.net  Following the lesson, I showed the students a book trailer on the book The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing by Sheila Turnage. Since showing them this book trailer, 20 students have this book on hold. I may have to look into getting new copies for the library, as I only have 2 copies. I love that the students are so excited about reading!!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment