Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Imaginary Pets with Kindergarten

Lehrhaupt, Adam. I WILL NOT EAT YOU.
illustrated by Scott Magoon. Simon & Schuster. 2017.
One of my favorite days of the week is the day that Kindergarten comes to the library. They are so fun and they really are drawn into the books. Today, I read I WILL NOT EAT YOU by Adam Lehrhaupt. This is an amazing read aloud story, so if you don't have it in your library, get it soon!

We started off making a prediction of what the animal is in the cave that we see on the front cover. Most of the kindergarteners thought it was a bear, but we don't find out until the middle of the book.

We find out on the first page that the animal in the cave's name is Theodore. Different animals come to his cave and make sounds at him. The students enjoy making the sounds along with me. The first animal is a little bird, so the kids get to tweet tweet. I think their favorite was the lion. They let out a loud roar for me!

Finally, a litte boy dressed as a knight on a stick horse comes to Theodore's cave. Theodore thinks of eating the little boy, but after the boy pokes him and runs around, the boy begins to laugh. Well you know laughter is contagious, so Theodore also begins to laugh. Instead of eating the boy he plays with the boy.

That brought us to our second skill, fantasy versus realistic. The kids decided that Theodore, being a dragon, was a figment of the little boys imagination. I asked them what made them think this, and it was because the boy was dressed as a knight, so he needed a dragon to fight.

Each kindergartener then drew the animal they would have as their imaginary play pet. I had a few dragons, lots of unicorns, a narwhal, an elephant, and a few lions.

This girl has a pegasus as her imaginary pet. 
This young lady wants Gerald to play with.
Lots of the girls drew unicorns. I love the rainbow this girl added. 




No comments:

Post a Comment