Thursday, March 8, 2018

Stations and Google Hangouts

Someone once told me that a flexible schedule wouldn't work on their campus because they wouldn't be busy enough. Their principal wanted to see them busy, so a flexible schedule would not work.  

Well, let me tell you, a flexible schedule does not mean not busy! I am busier now than I was when I started at this campus and we were on a fixed schedule. Our library stays very busy with all sorts of activities. And I love every busy moment!

Figurative Language Stations

The third grade teacher approached me last week and asked about doing an activity in the library with figurative language. They had been learning it in class, but needed some extra practice. So, she taught the skill and reviewed in the classroom, and I set up stations for the students in the library.

Each station focused on a certain type of figurative language: simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, and onomatopoeia. At each station I placed a photograph with examples of figurative language. Students were tasked with matching the figurative lanugage with the photograph, then writing their own. For example, at the hyperbole station, they had to locate the sentence that contained a hyperbole describing the photograph.

Each station also contained a paragraph that students read and located the types of figurative language. There was a lot of great conversation at the stations. I especially loved that some of the students felt safe enough at the end to ask the teacher and me to go over some of the stations again. 



Two of the stations were a little different than the rest. At the Onomotopeia station, students had book to look through and find examples. Then, they added to a graffiti poster examples of onomotopeias with pictures. Someone drew a stormtrooper with the words "pew pew" beside it. It was greatness!! 

I added a station for comparing similes and metaphors. At this station, students had to look at sentences and really analyze them by telling what two things were being compared, if it was a simile or metaphor, and why. 



Guest Meteorologist

One of our fourth grade teachers connected with a meteorologist, Tim Brice, in El Paso that works with NOAA. The fourth grade classes had just completed their unit on Weather Changes. All fourth grade classes came to the library to listen to the meteorologist speak. He showed them types of weather maps, satellite images, and their workstations. My favorite image he showed us was a slow motion video of lightning. I never realized lightning was so beautiful! 

After his presentation, students were able to ask questions. It was an amazing experience to be able to connect and interact with another professional through Google Hangouts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment