Friday, March 23, 2018

Notetaking with 4th Grade

4th grade has a major biography project coming up. Their wax museum research starts soon, so the 4th grade teacher asked if I would help her go over notetaking skills.  I always love the wax museum, it is one of my favorite projects of the year. Students choose a famous Texas, past or present, to research. They can find out anything they want about the person, but on Wax Museum Day they dress up as the person and give a speech. They even pause/freeze in between just like at the wax museum. It is so much fun!

Anyway, they are currently working on a Civil Rights Movement unit in Social Studies, so the teacher and I decided to use that as a practice. This week we started on just notetaking. 


I made this buncee to have on the screen to review, and also as a visual to help them remember while taking notes. I chose an article from Newsela about a Civil Rights Activists named Medgar Evers. Most of the students had not heard of him, so it was an interesting read.

Each student received the article and a note card. Since this was practice, I wanted them to focus on a certain question instead of everything about his life. I told them the question, then they looked for keywords. Then created a heading and a bullet point list on their notecard.


Learning is fun in the library. 


No comments:

Post a Comment